4 Things To Know Before You Start Your Migraine Treatment
4 things to know before you start your migraine treatment
You cannot ignore migraine headaches and continue your life like nothing has happened. Migraine headaches demand attention and you cannot leave them untreated. To figure out what treatment will work best for you, you need to first figure out the potential cause of your migraine. Once you have narrowed down the cause of your migraine, you can discuss the treatment options with your doctor and pick the best migraine treatment. Read on to find out more about migraine treatments and how you can relieve migraine pain.
What are some popular migraine treatment options?
- There are many medications available today that can help you relieve migraine pain. These medications fall under two broad categories—pain-relieving medications and preventive medications.
- The pain-relieving medications are supposed to be taken while the patient is experiencing a migraine attack as it helps to alleviate the pain. Over-the-counter pain relievers like aspirin and ibuprofen are some of the pain relievers that are used to treat a migraine. Other medicines that are used to treat migraine symptoms include Triptans, Ergots, and certain anti-nausea medications like chlorpromazine and metoclopramide.
- Moreover, the preventive medications are taken regularly as prescribed by the doctor. The main purpose of these medications is to reduce the frequency of your chronic migraine attacks and to help you cope with the symptoms of the disease. Some common preventive medications include cardiovascular medications, antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Can you naturally treat a migraine?
- Yes, you can get relief from migraine pain by taking help of some natural home remedies.
- Essential oils like lavender oil and peppermint are said to be effective in providing relief from migraine headache pain. You can either directly inhale a small amount of these essential oils or dilute it and apply it on your forehead and the temples.
- Ginger is another natural ingredient that helps deal with nausea that is caused by a migraine.
- You can also take control and manage your migraine attacks by avoiding food items that act as a trigger and cause a migraine. Some common food items that are known triggers that cause a migraine include chocolate, cheese, processed food, alcohol, and dairy products.
- It is also observed that magnesium deficiency can cause migraine headaches. So, make sure that you include magnesium-rich food like almonds, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, and eggs in your diet.
How can you diagnose a case of a migraine?
- When you go to the doctor and tell him/her your symptoms and signs, he or she will make a note of them. The doctor might then study your symptoms and conclude of a migraine.
- Many times, you will be required to do a CT scan, MRI, or some other tests as a headache is not a distinctive symptom and it could be a warning sign for many other serious ailments.
- After the tests, the doctor will be able to rule out other causes of a headache like a tumor, stroke, or abnormality in the brain structure and will finally start your migraine treatment.
Can you prevent a migraine?
- Though you cannot completely prevent a migraine, you can try to reduce your chances of developing the condition.
- One of the best ways to do so is to recognize the cause of your migraine headaches and to do your best to avoid these triggers.
- There are various migraine medicines like Topiramate and Propranolol that help you prevent migraine headaches and help in reducing the frequency of your migraine attacks.
- Acupuncture is another way in which you can prevent migraine headaches. You can consider taking up a course of around 10 sessions over a period of 5–8 weeks for the best results.
- You can prevent a menstrual-related migraine by either taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or hormonal contraceptives.
Keep in mind that the earlier you detect and the earlier you start your treatment, the better it is for your health. With proper medical treatment and by changing your lifestyle in a way that will relieve your migraine pain, you will be able to not let the disease overpower you.
Tags: causes of migraine and treatment, migraine treatment, treatment for chronic migraines, ways to relieve migraine pain, causes of migraine, treatment of migraine headaches