A Guide To Buying Dental Insurance
A guide to buying dental insurance
In response to the rise in the number of people demanding dental insurance, many dental insurance providers and companies have sprung up. With the increase in the number of insurance providers, it is more difficult to choose which one to opt for. This is because not all dental insurance providers offer the same benefits. You cannot simply rely on any company that claims to offer the best dental insurance plans. It is only after a thorough research of dental insurance providers and their benefits that you can ascertain the worth of an insurance provider. If you are tight on budget you can consider Aspen Dental, it offers thorough check-ups at affordable prices.
If you are on the lookout for dental insurance plans and their providers, the following are the things you should know.
What are the different types of dental insurance plans available?
- Preferred provider organizations (PPOs)- The dental insurance plans offered by the preferred provider organizations (PPOs) are quite popular because of their unmatched flexibility. They give freedom to patients to choose their dentists and dental specialists. Additionally, the service-quality is better and there are fewer limitations; however, the premiums are usually high.
- Dental health maintenance organizations (DHMOs)– The dental health maintenance organizations (DHMOs) plans, also known as pre-paid dental insurance plans, allow patients to choose one dentist or a dental facility for all their oral health needs. These are usually cheaper than PPO dental insurance plans and dental indemnity insurance plans. The DHMO insurance plans are widely used by businesses to ensure their employees; however, individuals and families can use them as well.
- Dental indemnity insurance plans– The dental indemnity insurance plans, also known as the fee-for-service insurance plans, require the insured person to pay directly to their dentists. They can receive compensation later by submitting claim forms. Not many consider them the best dental plans because the reimbursement is given after a period of time.
- Dental savings plans– The dental savings plans are an alternative to dental insurance plans. They provide an affordable access to dental care by offering discounts on most of the dental services.
What are important factors to compare when choosing a dental insurance plan?
Before choosing a dental insurance plan it is important to conduct a thorough research. Some of the important factors that you need to compare are:
- Monthly premiums
- Dental treatments and procedures covered
- Out of pocket maximums
- Annual maximum
- Dental network
- Benefit period
- Waiting period
What should I know before buying a dental insurance plan?
Before buying a dental insurance plan, consider the following points:
- Most of the plans cover preventative care– Preventive dental care includes six-monthly dental checkups or annual checkups followed by X-rays and basic teeth cleaning. Some dental insurance plans cover 100% of the dental treatment cost while others only cover preventive dental care costs. Therefore, don’t forget to find out what coverage a particular dental insurance plan offers.
- Corrective services are not included– Dental insurance plans usually do not cover corrective dental procedures or simply cover half the cost.
- Different waiting periods– Dental insurance plans come with different waiting periods. Therefore, choose one with a waiting period that matches your needs the best.
- Cost difference– Different dental insurance plans vary in cost. Many factors are responsible for this difference, including your dental health, and the plan you choose.
What are the mistakes to avoid while choosing a dental insurance plan?
- Not inquiring about the network size.
- Not considering additional benefits.
- Focusing only on the bottom line.
- Not seeking information regarding the premium.
- Not knowing how the discounts are calculated.
- Not knowing about the plan administration.
- Overlooking the importance of customer service.
- Not considering the waiting period.
Which are some of the best companies offering dental insurance?
Some of the best companies offering dental insurance in the country are:
- Delta Dental