Causes And Treatment Methods For Excruciating Foot Pain
Causes and treatment methods for excruciating foot pain
Our body functions as a whole, if there’s something wrong with one part of the body, everything else gets affected. Even if it’s a toothache, the nagging pain will keep you from functioning properly till the time it subsides. Imagine suffering from foot pain that refuses to subside! What might start as a gentle tingling at the bottom of the foot doesn’t take too long to spread and change into something that causes excruciating pain.
If you have ever suffered from foot pain, you will be aware of how wrong it will be on your part to neglect it. If you wish to enlighten yourself regarding the various causes of foot pain, the dangers it poses, and the various home remedies for the same, keep reading.
What are the causes of foot pain?
Like every other ailment that affects people, there are certain causes of the excruciating foot pain that some of us might have endured at some point in time. The various causes of foot pain are as follows:
- One of the major causes of foot pain is the appearance of corns and calluses. Corns appear under the feet and can affect a person’s ability to work. Calluses appear on the side of the feet, which further hinders one’s ability to walk.
- Bone spurs or broken ankle can also be considered to be one of the causes of foot pain. Unless the bones mend, one cannot move around like they used to.
- Certain autoimmune diseases like arthritis can also cause excruciating foot pain. Gout is one of the most common reasons for foot pain which refuses to subside unless it is treated.
- Ill-fitting shoes or high heels are known to worsen the posture and can causes foot pain. Ill-Fitting shoes are an open-invitation for mishaps, whereas, high-heels are detrimental to the well-being of the joints.
What are the different types of foot pain?
Foot pain can manifest itself in different forms, some of them are as follows:
- Plantar Fasciitis – This condition affects the band of tough tissue that connects the heel bone to the toes. The tissue is affected by inflammation, and this causes severe pain when the person takes the first few steps in the morning.
- Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome – This foot pain condition is caused due to a pinched or irritated nerve. This condition is characterized by sudden tingling and burning sensation from the inside of the ankle to the arch and the sole.
- Metatarsalgia – Also known as the ball of the foot pain, Metatarsalgia, causes excruciating pain at the bottom of the foot. This condition often occurs due to faulty foot functioning or decreased fat pad on the sole of the feet.
- Arthritis – Arthritis is an autoimmune disease which is characterized by an inflammation of the joints which is caused by the faulty functioning of the immune system. This condition affects the joints, making it difficult for the person to walk.
What are the various medications used for treating foot pain?
The various medications for foot pain treatment are as follows-
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Gout medications
- Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs)
- Osteoporosis medications
- Biological response modifiers
Instead of self-medicating, it is advisable to visit a physician who’ll help with foot and leg pain treatment methods.
What are the various home remedies for treating foot pain?
Here are some of the popular foot pain treatments that can also work wonders for providing diabetic foot pain relief.
- Epsom salt – Epsom salt is quite instrumental in providing foot pain relief. Soak your feet in a tub of warm water with Epsom salt in it. The magnesium content is known to relax the feet and ease the pain.
- Hot and cold water – Soak your feet simultaneously in hot and cold water. The hot water promotes blood flow, while the cold water reduces inflammation.
- Ice – Ice packs prove quite useful in reducing the swelling and pain by reducing the inflammation.
- Clove oil – Heat some clove oil and gently massage it into the affected area. It can reduce joint pain and can treat athlete’s foot and nail fungus effectively.