Home Remedies For Relief From A Blocked Nose And Congestion
Home remedies for relief from a blocked nose and congestion
A blocked nose and congestion is a common problem, and though it can be treated with simple home remedies, it is absolutely uncomfortable. It is not a severe medical condition but has the ability to disrupt your day. Due to the excessive formation of mucus inside the nose, it gets clogged. Mostly, it is due to a cold or some viral infection, but at times it can also be a symptom of other health issues such as sinusitis. Let’s look at the common causes of a blocked nose, symptoms, and congestion – treatment.
What are the common symptoms of nasal congestion?
- A headache and burning eyes if you suffer from sinus.
- Watery nose due to the excess mucus formed within the nose.
- A blocked nose due to inflammation of the tissues inside the nose.
- Trouble in breathing is mostly because of the excess mucus and the inflamed tissues.
- A mild fever and cough can also be often accompanied by a cold.
- A sore throat and sneezing are other health issues that are common signs of nasal congestion.
What are the causes?
- Viral infection: It can be a common cold due to any kind of virus causing cold. Rhinovirus is one of the most common reasons.
- Allergies: According to the American College of Allergy, it is a very common medical condition in a maximum number of people. Your body starts reacting to any foreign particle including dust, pollen, animal fur, and a strong smell. As a result, you start to sneeze with itchy eyes and find yourself with a blocked nose.
- Occupational reasons: Sometimes it can be caused due to the occupation you are in, such as working with some chemicals can often cause inflamed nose tissues.
- Dry air: If the air is dry, it affects the tissues in our nose at times and can cause nasal congestion.
- Stress: It has various health hazards, and a clogged nose is one of them. Though it is not a severe health condition, you must stay stress-free to keep yourself healthy.
How can you prevent a blocked nose?
- In dry weather, try using a nebulizer to moisten the inner layers of your nose.
- Avoid smoking as it can cause a cough and cold, and you might have to go for nasal congestion – treatment.
- If you are allergic to something, try to stay away from it or use a mask whenever required.
- Keep your body hydrated and consume a lot of liquids, such as juice and water.
When is it necessary to visit a doctor?
- A congestion – treatment is mostly very simple, and the remedies can be implemented at home during the initial few days.
- You probably need not visit a doctor if it is a mild nose block and you know the probable cause.
- If the condition persists for over 10 days without any improvement, you should visit a doctor.
- Visiting a doctor becomes imperative if there is chest pain, bleeding from the nose, a high fever, or facial or ear pain.
What are the various congestion – treatments?
- Use saline nasal sprays as they are harmless.
- You can use a humidifier to maintain the moisture in your room.
- There are various over-the-counter medicines and nasal sprays that you can use as congestion – treatments. Mostly, they are safe, but it is always advisable to consult a doctor.
- There are various home remedies that you can conveniently implement.
- You can rub a menthol-based gel around your nose for temporary relief.
What are the congestion remedies that can be implemented at home?
- Take a warm bath: Bathing helps by relaxing the muscles and releasing the mucus.
- Take ample rest: Your body will need enough sleep and rest to fight the germs. So, take a day off if you want to get cured fast.
- Take a warm compress: Wet a towel in warm water and drain the excess water from it. Apply it on your face and press mildly in and around the nasal area. You can also apply it on your forehead.
- Onion: Smelling an onion every five minutes can do wonders in releasing the mucus and opening your nasal vassals.
- Basil and honey: Have them individually or make a mixture for a congestion – treatment. Take 5-6 basil leaves and boil them in water, squeeze them in a small bowl, mix a teaspoon of honey to it, and drink this.
- Soup or tea: Drink hot soup or tea with peppermint as an effective congestion – treatment.