Important Things About Pet Insurance That You Need To Be Aware Of
Important things about pet insurance that you need to be aware of
Taking care of a pet is a huge responsibility, especially when they fall sick. Therefore, it is essential to safeguard all their interests related to health in advance, as certain medical procedures can get pricey. Pet insurance is a great way to ensure that your pet receives the best medical services in time of a major medical emergency. These could comprise of coverages for illnesses or accidents.
If you happen to be unaware about pet insurance, then read further to gain an overview of it.
What are the benefits of pet insurance?
- No repentances – All pet owners consider their animals as family and losing them can be emotionally taxing. Lack of funds can lead to inadequate treatment options which can be life-threatening for pets. Having a pet insurance eliminates the regretful situations and gives you an opportunity to ensure that all significant measures are taken to protect them.
- Saves additional medical expenditures – Apart from primary health care expenses for your pet, you can save money on extra costs like hospital stays, imaging scans, lab tests, etc.
- A range of coverages – Depending on the type of pet insurance you choose, you will get protection for a variety of healthcare expenses. This is a great deal, as health conditions can be unpredictable and with pet insurance, you get a chance to be ready.
- Being prepared – As your pet gets old, it is evident that it will face certain inevitable health issues. This means you will have to increase the round of routine examinations to keep your pet’s wellbeing in check. Having a pet insurance will not only keep you financially equipped for emergency cases but also for the regular checkups.
What does a pet insurance cover?
The following are the types of medical expenses that a pet insurance typically covers.
- Accidents and injuries
- Doctor’s fees for checkups
- Diagnostic tools such as blood test, imaging tests, etc.
- Dental treatments in cases where there are injuries to the teeth due to accidents
- Alternative therapies such as physiotherapy, chiropractic, hydrotherapy, etc.
There are certain forms of healthcare costs that might not be covered or could be optional. Opting for these will naturally increase your monthly premiums, but they can be a good investment if you sense your pet might be needing them. Some of them are:
- Routine checkups
- Behavioral therapies
- Dental care
- Pre-existing conditions
- Spaying or neutering
- Complex treatments such as organ transplants, prosthetics, cell replacement therapy, etc.
- Emergency boarding
Deliberately harming the pet to cause grievous injuries is excluded from all pet insurance plans.
What are the main types of pet insurance?
While selecting pet coverage, you will come across three major types, i.e., accident-only, accident and illnesses and comprehensive.
- Accident-only – As the name suggests this type of cover only reimburses medical expenses for injuries caused due to accidents. These could include vehicle accidents, snake bites, accidentally consuming toxic substances like cleaning agents, specific types of foods, etc. This is ideal for pets who are younger and healthier.
- Accidents and illnesses – These forms of pet insurances cover both accidents as well as illnesses such as infections, cancers, hereditary or chronic disorders, etc. However, pet parents should be aware that there might be some exclusions like pre-existing conditions or complex sorts of medical procedures. It is suitable for pets who have had medical problems in the past or have aged and are showing signs of a relatively less healthy body.
- Comprehensive – This type of plan not only encompasses primary health care concerns like illnesses and injuries but also includes compensation for expenses involving preventive care, behavioral therapies, etc. Comprehensive covers are apt for pets who are aging.
How much does a pet insurance cost?
The cost of pet insurance varies according to the types of plan chosen. Usually, they can be as low as $5 and as high as $100 per month. The costs of the premiums also differ according to the deductible you have paid at the beginning of the year. So, the higher the deductible, the lower the premiums and vice versa.
Which are the popular companies for pet insurance?
The following are some popular insurance companies you can consider if you are looking for health coverage for your pet.
- Healthy Paws
- AKC Pet Insurance
- Pet Plan
- Pets Best